Child Support

Effective October 1, 1999, federal legislation changed the way Child Support was handled in the State of Illinois. Illinois Child Support is now paid through the State Disbursement Unit (SDU) in Carol Stream, Illinois. This change was designed to centralize the collection and distribution of Child Support.

Question: How do I receive my child support from the State Disbursement Unit (SDU)?

Answer: Child support recipient must fill out a data sheet and return it to the Circuit Clerk’s Office room 107. Data Sheet can be located to the left, the Self-Help Center, or the Circuit Clerk's Office room 107.

Question: How do I send in a child support payment to the SDU?

Answer: Make your check payable to Illinois State Disbursement Unit. You must include your Winnebago County FIPS number 17201 or reference Winnebago County and case number with your payment.

Payments can be sent to:                           

IL State Disbursement Unit
P.O. Box 5400
Carol Stream, IL 60197
(877) 225-7077

Question: How do I change my address?

Answer: It is the responsibility of the Child Support recipient to notify the Circuit Clerk’s Office of any change in your address. Address changes must be done in person in room 107 of the Circuit Clerk's Office with a goverment issued ID. The Circuit Clerk Office will then notify the SDU of your new address.

If you are a recipient of Health and Family Services (HFS) , ONLY Health and Family Services can change the address to which your Child Support check is sent. Please notify Health and Family Services of your new address by calling 1-800-447-4278 or visit their website at www.childsupportIllinois.com.

Question: I just received a $36 Annual Support Service Fee letter. What is it and where should I go to pay it?

Answer: The $36.00 annual Support Service Fee, that is assessed pursuant to Illinois State Statute on all Child Support cases, must still be paid to the Circuit Clerk’s office. You may make your payment in person at the Circuit Clerk’s Office room 107, or payment may be made via check/ money order mailed to the Winnebago County Circuit Clerk’s Office, Attn: Child Support Division, 400 West State St Rm 107, Rockford, IL 61101.

Be sure to include your case number on the face of your check.

Question: How do I raise, lower, or stop my child support?

Answer: Download and complete a Motion and Notice of Motion to the left and return it to the Circuit Clerk's Office room 108. 

Pursuant to Illinois Statute (705 ILCS 110 / 1) the Circuit Clerk’s Office is unable to assist in the preparation of documents or give any legal advice.

© Winnebago County 17th Judicial Circuit Clerk. All Rights Reserved.
Mailing Address: 400 West State St., Rockford, IL 61101
Phone: 1-815-319-4500 (8:00AM - 5:00PM CT)

close (X)