Small Claim

Claims Between $.01 - $10,000.00

A Small Claim “SC” case number shall be assigned to “…a civil action based on either tort or contract for money not in excess of $10,000, exclusive of interest and costs, or for the collection of taxes not in excess of that amount” (Supreme Court Rule 281).

This list of subcategories is not intended to be comprehensive: rather, it is intended to illustrate the kinds of actions that are to be filed under the Small Claim "SC" category.

• Confession of Judgment
• Contract-Money Damages
• Registration of Foreign Judgment
• Tax Collection
• Tort-Money Damages

Question: How do I file a Small Claims “SC” case ($.01 – $10,000.00)?

Answer: Forms listed below are necessary for filing a Small Claims "SC" case.

•  Affidavit - Military Service (1 per Defendant)
• Appearance
• Complaint - Small Claims (1 original and 1 copy)
• Cover Sheet
• Summons - Small Claims (1 original and 1 copy per Defendant)

Download forms to the left or go to Court Forms for a complete list of all available forms.

Upon completion of the forms necessary for your case, you will need to file your forms at the Circuit Clerk’s Office room 108 at the civil counter. Fee due upon filing.

The clerk will issue one summons per party, and the filer will be responsible to have it served appropriately. If you choose to use the Winnebago County Sheriff’s Office for service, the clerk will collect the appropriate fees at this time.

The case will then be assigned the next appropriate First Return Court date or Case Management date.

It is the petitioner’s duty to follow the events of the case and appear for the court dates. Failure to do so may result in the case being dismissed.

Question: What do I do if I have been served with a summons?

Answer:  Read the summons carefully and follow the instructions on the summons. If you wish to file an Answer and Appearance, download and complete the forms to the left. Fee due upon filing.

You must mail copies of the Answer and Appearance to the opposing party/attorney of record.

Pursuant to Illinois Statute (705 ILCS 110 / 1) the Circuit Clerk’s Office is unable to assist in the preparation of documents or give any legal advice.

Mailing Address: 400 West State St., Rockford, IL 61101
Phone: 1-815-319-4500 (8:00AM - 5:00PM CDT) 

© Winnebago County Clerk of the Circuit Court. All Rights Reserved. | Site Design & Developement by

close (X)