Dissolution without Children

A Dissolution case number shall be assigned to a complaint for dissolution of marriage, civil union, or separate maintenance.

Note: If you filed a dissolution before December 31, 2021, you received a "D" case category, with or without children.

As of January 1, 2022 the "D" cases category has been split, "Dissolution with Children" will  be a "DC"  and a "Dissolution without Children" will be a "DN" case category.  


This list of subcategories is not intended to be comprehensive: rather, it is intended to illustrate the kinds of actions that are to be filed under the Dissolution without Children "DN" category.

 • Civil Union without Children
 • Dissolution without Children
 • Invalidity without Children
 • Legal Separation without Children

Question: How do I file a Dissolution “DN” case?

Answer: Forms are available in the Self Help Center located in the Law Library on the third-floor of the courthouse or go to Dissolution Court Forms  for a complete list of all available forms. Forms must be chosen to fit the litigant’s situation. 

Upon completion of the forms necessary for your case, you will need to efile your forms. Approved service providers may be found  at  http://Efile.illinoiscourts.gov/service-providers.htm. You may file with the provider of your choice; however, the Winnebago County Circuit Clerk's Office staff has been trained to assist with Odyssey eFileIL. Please note that you will first be required to register and set up a payment option.  Fee due upon filing.

Upon review of your submitted filing, you will receive an email with your acceptance or rejection information. If you have opened a new case, you will then need to submit your summons to be issued via eFileIL. You will need one summons per party, and the filer will be responsible for having it correctly served. If you choose to use the  Winnebago County Sheriff’s Office for service, you will need to select the appropriate fee in the Optional Services section of the efiling page. 

The case will then be assigned the next appropriate First Return Court date or Case Management date.

It is the petitioner’s duty to follow the events of the case and appear for the court dates. Failure to do so may result in the case being dismissed.

Question: What do I do if I have been served with a summons?

Answer: Read the summons carefully and follow the instructions on the summons. If you wish to file an Answer and Appearance, you must download, complete, and efile the forms at http://Efile.illinoiscourts.gov/service-providers.htm

Fee due upon filing.

You must mail copies of the Answer and Appearance to the opposing party /attorney of record.

Pursuant to Illinois Statute (705 ILCS 110 / 1) the Circuit Clerk’s Office is unable to assist in the preparation of documents or give any legal advice.

Mailing Address: 400 West State St., Rockford, IL 61101
Phone: 1-815-319-4500 (8:00AM - 4:30PM CDT) 

© Winnebago County Clerk of the Circuit Court. All Rights Reserved. | Site Design & Developement by americaneagle.com

close (X)