A Family “FA” case number shall be assigned to a variety of matters including proceedings to establish the parent-child relationship, notice to putative fathers, and certain actions relating to child support and custody. NOTE: Petitions for Orders of Protection are filed as separate cases under the OP category.


As of January 1, 2022 the Family case category code letters will be "FA". 

Note: If you filed a Family case before December 31, 2021, you received a "F" case category code letter. 


This list of subcategories is not intended to be comprehensive: rather, it is intended to illustrate the kinds of actions that are to be filed under the Family "FA" case category.

• Abandoned Baby
• Child of Assisted Reproduction
• Delayed Record of Birth
• Gestational Surrogacy
• Notice to Putative Father/Adoption Act
• Notice to Putative Father/Juvenile Court Act
• Parentage Act - Challenge
• Petition for Confidential Intermediary
• Peititon for Custody
• Petition to Request Support
• Petition for Parental Responsibility of Child(ren) (Visitation)
• Petition for Parental Responsibility (Child Support)
• Petition for Visitation of Child(ren)
• Petition for Visitation of Frail/Elderly Adult

Question: How do I file a Family “FA” case?

Answer: Forms are available in the Self Help Center located in the Law Library on the third-floor of the courthouse or go to Family Court Forms for a complete list of all available forms. Forms must be chosen to fit the litigant’s situation. 

Upon completion of the forms necessary for your case, you will need to efile your forms. Approved service providers may be found  at You may file with the provider of your choice; however, the Winnebago County Circuit Clerk's Office staff has been trained to assist with Odyssey eFileIL. Please note that you will first be required to register and set up a payment option.  Fee due upon filing.

Upon review of your submitted filing, you will receive an email with your acceptance or rejection information. If you have opened a new case, you will then need to submit your summons to be issued via eFileIL. You will need one summons per party, and the filer will be responsible for having it correctly served. If you choose to use the  Winnebago County Sheriff’s Office for service, you will need to select the appropriate fee in the Optional Services section of the efiling page. 

The case will then be assigned the next appropriate First Return Court date or Case Management date.

It is the petitioner’s duty to follow the events of the case and appear for the court dates. Failure to do so may result in the case being dismissed.

Question: How do I get a copy of the Voluntary Acknowledgment of Paternity?

Answer: A copy of the Voluntary Acknowledgment of Paternity may be available at the hospital where the child was born or Illinois Vital Records. 

Question: What do I do if I have been served with a summons?

Answer: Read the summons carefully and follow the instructions on the summons. If you wish to file an Answer and Appearance, you must download, complete, and efile the forms at may be a fee due upon filing.

You must mail copies of the Answer and Appearance to the opposing party/attorney of record.

Pursuant to Illinois Statute (705 ILCS 110 / 1) the Circuit Clerk’s Office is unable to assist in the preparation of documents or give any legal advice.


Mailing Address: 400 West State St., Rockford, IL 61101
Phone: 1-815-319-4500 (8:00AM - 4:30PM CDT) 

© Winnebago County Clerk of the Circuit Court. All Rights Reserved. | Site Design & Developement by

close (X)