Law Minor

Claims Between $10,001.00 - $50,000.00

A Law Minor “LM” case number shall be assigned to a variety of actions in which the damages sought are $50,000 or less. The amount of damages contained in the complaint pursuant to Supreme Court Rule 222, excluding interest and costs, determines the category, not the amount of the verdict or judgment.  

This list of subcategories is not intended to be comprehensive: rather, it is intended to illustrate the kinds of actions that are to be filed under the Law Minor "LM" category.

• Confession of Judgment (Up to $15,000.00)
• Confession of Judgment ($15,000.01 to $50,000)
• Detinue (Up to $15,000.00)
• Detinue ($15,000.01 to $50,000.00)
Ejectment (Up to $15,000.00)
Ejectment ($15,000.01 to $50,000.00)
Eviction - Possession Only
Eviction - Rent (Up to $15,000.00)
Eviction - Rent ($15,000.01 to $50,000.00)
Eviction - Tenant (Up to $15,000.00)
Eviction - Tenant ($15,000.01 to $50,000.00)
• Replevin (Up to $15,000.00)
• Replevin ($15,000.01 to $50,000.00)

Question: How do I file a “LM” case?

Answer: As each Law Minor Case Filing is unique in its content, there are no standard complaint forms available to be filled out. A litigant who chooses to represent themselves Pro-Se will need to consult an attorney or prepare the appropriate complaint themselves. The Self-Help Center located in the third floor Law Library is available for research purposes.

Necessary forms for filing a Law Minor "LM" case include, but not limited to the following forms: 

 Affidavit - Military Service (1 per Defendant)
 Complaint (No standard complaint form available)
• Summons (1 per Defendant)

Go to Law Minor General Forms for a complete list of all available forms. 

Upon completion of the forms necessary for your case, you will need to efile your forms. Approved service providers may be found at You may file with the provider of your choice; however, the Winnebago County Circuit Clerk's Office staff has been trained to assist with Odyssey eFileIL. Please note that you will first be required to register and set up a payment option.  Fee due upon filing.

Upon review of your submitted filing, you will receive an email with your acceptance or rejection information. If you have opened a new case, you will then need to submit your summons to be issued via eFileIL. You will need one summons per party, and the filer will be responsible for having it correctly served. If you choose to use the  Winnebago County Sheriff’s Office for service, you will need to select the appropriate fee in the Optional Services section of the efiling page. 

Question: What do I do if I have been served with a summons?

Answer: Read the summons carefully and follow the instructions on the summons. If you wish to file an Answer and Appearance, you must download, complete, and efile the forms at

There may be a fee due upon filing.

You must mail copies of the Answer and Appearance to the opposing party/attorney of record.

Pursuant to Illinois Statute (705 ILCS 110 / 1) the Circuit Clerk’s Office is unable to assist in the preparation of documents or give any legal advice.

Mailing Address: 400 West State St., Rockford, IL 61101
Phone: 1-815-319-4500 (8:00AM - 4:30PM CDT) 

© Winnebago County Clerk of the Circuit Court. All Rights Reserved. | Site Design & Developement by

close (X)